#freezerlovefriday is BACK

#freezerlovefriday has been on the blog since the beginning, and I have loved bringing these recipes to you all. One of the most popular posts was my breakfast burritos recipe, and it was amazing receiving feedback and pictures from people who made them for their family. Whether you are a working family, a student, or a stay at home parent family, having something to grab and throw in the freezer can be so helpful. 



As promised, I am changing it up a bit this year. I am going to pick one main ingredient a month and give you a few different recipes for that one ingredient, ranging from breakfast to dinner. If you don't love the ingredient of the month, try out at least one of the recipes. As my cousin's children taught us, "try one no thank you bite!" You may be surprised and love it. Or just come back next month for the next ingredient!



Introducing January's ingredient of the month, Quinoa! I have blogged about my love for this super food before, but I am here to tell you there is SO much more you can do with quinoa than just serve it as a side. I am starting out with an easy and hearty recipe, my very own Broccoli Quinoa Bake. This is perfect for a cold day, and is loaded with veggies and goodness. 


Broccoli Quinoa Bake 
This is super easy to double. Enjoy one the night of and freeze one for later! 

Ingredients:
1-2 chicken breasts (this can be made without, as a vegetarian option)
1½ cups uncooked quinoa
2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup water
3 cups mozzarella
1 cups cheddar
1 cup Parmesan 
3 pinches of salt
1 tsp corn starch
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 cups of broccoli florets
2 cups spinach

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400º

Cut the chicken into small pieces. Melt coconut oil in a saucepan and cook the chicken through, set aside. 

Lightly grease an 8X8 baking pan.

Add the dry quinoa and cooked chicken into the greased baking pan.

Combine broth, water, salt, and corn starch (used to thicken up the sauce a bit) into a saucepan. Stir occasionally and bring to a boil. 

Let boil for 3 minutes and add to the quinoa and chicken.

Add in half of the cheese and most of the Parmesan, saving about ¼ a cup, mix all ingredients. 

Bake for 35-40 minutes. 

While that is cooking, steam the broccoli. Either microwave for 3-5 minutes or steam on stove top for 5-6 minutes. 

The quinoa should be fully cooked by 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven, add in the broccoli, mix well. Top with remaining cheese, panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.

Broil on low for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. 

Serve immediately! 



Freezer option:

Cook (do everything except the broil stage, you can brown the top when reheating) and let cool completely. Cover in foil, and than wrap the entire pan in Saran Wrap (this will help protect from freezer burn. 


Example of freezer prep!
You can thaw and than bake (about 30 min at 350º) or you can reheat frozen (1 hour to 1.5 hours at 350º)!
Don't forget to label and include instructions. 

Love it? Don't forget to pin, share or tweet for future reference! 




Have an ingredient that you would like to see featured, email me or comment! I love hearing from you! 

Happy freezing, 




If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

11 comments

  1. I LOVE quinoa. I usually put it in my salads for more protein. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I haven't really tried quinoa yet in my cooking, so I'm going to make this for sure. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one to start with, super easy and you don't even have to cook it first!!

      Delete
  3. I don't use quinoa enough. This recipe helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just getting so sick of using it the same way, so I am excited about introducing the recipes this month!

      Delete
  4. I just started eating quinoa so these recipes are very exciting for me <3 thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! So many fun ways to eat quinoa. Make sure to check out the other recipes that I will post this month, they are all great for beginners =)!

      Delete
  5. Sounds really good. I wouldn't have thought of it as freezable. I'll be pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete