an old recipe a new way!

Way back when the blog was first starting, I did a post on breakfast cookies. They were a huge hit and we still make them ALL the time. We eat A LOT of bananas as a family. At least, 2-3 a day between the 3 of us, so we always have a fair share of ripe bananas. Match that with a need for quick gran-n-go snacks and this #freezerlovefriday is perfect for you. 



While I was brainstorming this month's #freezerlovefriday ingredient, Quinoa, I knew that I wanted a good mix of recipes. Then, I remembered the breakfast cookies and thought they would be perfect to freeze and enjoy later. The oats is what seals the banana together to make it take cookie shape, so why not add in some delicious quinoa? These turned out amazing, and are loaded with the super food. Make a double batch and keep some in the freezer to throw in your lunch box or cooler for after the gym!



Banana Quinoa Cookies
Yields: about 10 cookies


Ingredients:
2 ripe bananas
½ cup uncooked oats
½ cup cooked quinoa (I would recommend not using red)
½ t cinnamon
½ tbsp agave nectar
Optional - protein powder or dark chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350°
Mash the ripe bananas in a bowl. 
Add in the oatmeal, quinoa, cinnamon and agave nectar. Mix until well incorporated. The batter will be pretty runny at this point. 
Drop spoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. These will not rise or spread. 
Cook for 14-17 minutes.
Enjoy warm!

LPN enjoying a cookie! 
They will be a bit gooey straight out of the oven, but no worries, they will set just fine! 

Freezing Instructions:
Let completely cool and freeze in small batches, using a small Ziploc bag. I like to do 2-3 cookies per bag, 2 for me and 1 for Luke! 

Like I said in the original post, you can add just about anything to these cookies. Your base ingredients are the banana, oats and quinoa. So as long as you have those they will form up nicely. We have used dried cranberries, raisins, peanut butter and so much more. Try them out and let me know what you decided to add!

Happy freezing, 




Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory



4 comments

  1. Yum these look so good! I will have to try these for quick snacks on the go! May just add these to my meal prep lineup for the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to trying these! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to trying these! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. #freezerlovefriday is such an awesome idea! I love the idea of repurposing "old" ingredients! :D Those breakfast cookies sound (and look) delicious!

    ReplyDelete