5 Must Have Items to Survive a Cold

You know that feeling when you wake up one sunny morning and have an itch in your throat? You immediately say a little prayer to keep healthy and go about your day. It either gets better or gets worst and lately, for me, it has been getting worse. This Winter, and now Spring, has been brutal on my immune system. Living in Arizona I typically am super healthy with little allergies, but for some reason it has caught up to me. Lucky for me, my husband has been super helpful and we have all managed to get sick at different times. Sharing is caring, especially when you feel like death run over, so here are my 5 "must have" cold remedies!


natural ways to cure a cold

1. Humidifier - These have been amazing for us out here in the dry desert. Here is the one we use for Luke and here is the one we use in our room. When we are sick we swear by the medicated Vapo Steam that you put into the humidifier, but regardless these will help with coughing fits at night. We also like to put a dash of peppermint and rosemary essential oils in them. 

2. NetiPot - My parents are addicted to these things and while the sensation takes a bit to get used to, they really do help clear things up in the nostrils. From allergies to a sinus infection, they will have you breathing easier.

3. Lemon Ginger Tea - I am sure I did not invent this,  but I have introduced this to quite a few people. 8 oz hot water (as hot as you can stand), juice of half a lemon, 1 TBS honey and a few slices of ginger. Let that steep for 4-5 minutes and drink immediately. Do this as often as necessary throughout the day. This drink is a miracle worker, I promise! 

4. Vick's Vapor Rub - I love this stuff! Luke had a lot of stuffy noses as a baby and when I was desperate enough, I read to put the rub on the soles of his feet and cover with socks. I swear this worked a miracle for him every time we did it. It helped him to sleep better and was a natural remedy for the night time sniffles. I have been desperate enough to try this, as well, and yes it really does work. 

5. Zarbee's Naturals Cough Syrup - I love this brand and we have used it since Luke was old enough for the honey. They have daytime and night time cough and mucus suppressant for kids and adults. Give them a try, you will love the taste and the outcome. 

Keep in mind that I am NOT a medical professional, just a mom who loves to share what works for my family. I hope some of these work for you too. What are your favorite cold remedies? 

Happy healing, 







Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory

10 comments

  1. I never knew about the lemon ginger tea. I'll definitely try all these next time I get a cold. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tea is a miracle worker! Definitely save it for the next time!

      Delete
  2. We live in AZ too! We had a killer cold--as a whole family--and it lasted weeks. Not sure what my favorite remedies were, but I dI'd drink lots of tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been so windy here, so I am sure that does not help the allergies. But, I am ready for less wind and maybe even some monsoon rains to wash these allergies away!!

      Delete
  3. We were all struck with ear infections and strep throat this weekend. We were all about the warm tea and for my little guy we do vapor bath. Its awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A humidifer is a life saver! I'm in TX and while it's not quite as dry as AZ, we have our very dry days for sure. When the kiddos have a cold, we use saline and a NoseFrieda to help alleviate congestion and runny noses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I used the NoseFrida years ago with my son before they were big here in the states and people thought it was so gross lol! He hated the suction thing though and it worked so well. He is still bad about blowing his nose, I should whip it out and use the frida!

      Delete
  5. We love Zarabees, and our humidifier. Couldn't live without them! I've never tried lemon ginger tea though, I'll have to remember that for the next bug that hits our house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We swear by the tea! My doctor also recently said straight up honey is what they recommend. Good to remember if we are running low on Zarbees!

      Delete
  6. These are great tips! I'll be referencing this next time I have a cold.

    Crissy
    http://www.somevelvetmorningblog.com

    ReplyDelete