June Book Review

We vacationed this month so be prepared for a month of GOOD vacation reads! I felt like I was all over the place last month, but this month you will see somewhat of a trend. So if you are hitting the beach soon or if you want to pretend you are on vacation, this list is perfect for you!


beach reads - recommendations

The Hypnotist's Love Story - Liane Moriarty 


This one was a good one. It touched on so many different points about life and it got me super interested in Hypnotists! What a thrilling profession! I thought the ending was perfect and not really what I expected. Moriarty's stories are so out there and nothing what you expect, which adds depth to a genre that is somethings repetitive. Definitely a good beach read. I finished mine within 24 hours of starting thanks to a 11 hour drive home from the beach! 

Who Do You Love - Jennifer Weiner 

Ok, so this one was a page turner. It is not a deep story, not many life lessons hidden in the pages, but it is about love and the idea of love outlasting. Hard to believe but just the thing that us book lovers like to dive into and imagine happening. I highly recommend it as a quick, summer read! 


This book was on a huge wait list for my library, like over 30 people long. So, naturally I was exited when I got the email that it was available. While it was extremely interesting, I wouldn't say it was a page turner. I loved the history in it and the character development was exciting and new at times, but it was not a quick read for me. There were many nights of me falling asleep while reading it. I would recommend to someone who is interested in exploration or if you need a break from the romance of the summer.

The One and Only - Emily Giffin 

It pains me to say but this one was not good. Giffin likes to write about love stories we love to hate. Remember the one about the best friend falling in love with the fiance and them running off together, ya it became a movie and we all loved it because honestly we could see it happening. This one was way too left field and borderline gross. I won't ruin too much in case you want to try it out, but picture your best friend in the whole world, and then picture her mother dying and you falling in love with her Dad, who was a father figure throughout your life. Ya, not my cup of tea. I like Giffin's novels and they are usually easy and fun reads, but this one was a miss for me. 

Little Earthquakes - Jennifer Weiner 

This book was a fun book about relationships you make after you become a mother. It hit home on many levels and I think it was a true telling of how friendships change when you become a mother. Becoming a mother is not all daisies and buttercups, and this book did a great job at outlining that. I love that Weiner wrote this book during her daughter's first year of life and while she was learning to become a mother. It adds a realness to the story. Definitely a great book for all you moms out there. 

The Rumor: A Novel - Elin Hilderbrand 

This was the first book I have read by Hilderbrand and I was not disappointed. A great book about friendship, marriage and life in a small resort town. Rumors fly around two friends and their husbands and throughout the book you relate to the decisions they make and can feel for them during the betrayal. I think if you are from a small town, or went to a small college you will enjoy this book because everything is everyone else's business in those settings. Definitely a beach read and it is definitely one that you will finish quickly. 

Don't forget to follow me on goodreads to see all of the books I am reading, want to read and so you can recommend books for me!

3 comments

  1. Oh my gosh! I felt the SAME way after The One and Only. That one was WEIRD to me. But, anything Jennifer Weiner is always good. I have to try her new one! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I wasn't the only one to feel that way! The whole book I just kept shaking my head, and honestly I was surprised I finished lol!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to get some new good reads for summer- will def check some of these out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete