Erin’s Minimalist May Picks

Capsule Wardrobe - Minimalist May @semibalancedmama


So it turns out picking items for a capsule wardrobe is a lot harder than I thought! Same for you? I follow a couple of minimalists on Instagram and they’ve never mentioned how hard it is to narrow down your wardrobe. It’s hard to pick staple pieces that will function in multiple capacities. For example, I love a good grey tee shirt but can I wear it to a brunch? Church?A meeting? The park? Maybe. Probably. But that requires a lot of thought into what I pair it with. Is that making sense? Instead of grabbing and going, I have to plan. A lot.


Capsule Wardrobe - Minimalist May @semibalancedmama


I think I’ve figured out why we overstock our closets, it’s so we don’t have to plan ahead. In this day and age, we are busy and on the go. Planning and piecing together outfits takes some effort and thought and frankly, it’s easier the more options you have. I have clothes for my stay at home mom gig, I have clothes for when I have volunteer or teacher meetings, I have clothes for date nights, clothes for church, clothes for girls nights, clothes for family dinners, clothes for….you get the idea! So if I am being real on this minimalist gig then I need to have one wardrobe that has many functions. 

I picked a couple of dresses, one pair of shorts, two pairs of jeans and some tops. I tend to wear solids but I did do some prints because even a loyal solids gal needs to jazz it up in once in awhile! I’m already anticipating some switches because I need a good, cotton sleeveless shirt and I haven’t found one in the abyss of my closet. I may be on the lookout for that this month or I may realize that I can live without it. 

Capsule Wardrobe - Minimalist May @semibalancedmama

Capsule Wardrobe - Minimalist May @semibalancedmama


As far as really committing to Minimalist May I have decided that I donate some clothes and shoes as well as just wearing limited clothing. I will spend the minutes, the many minutes, that I usually spend picking out outfits picking out clothes that can go. I tend to spend some serious time picking out clothes so I anticipate finding at least 15 items that need to go.

Are you joining me? Brave enough to pick just 15 items for 26 days? Let’s do it! Getting dressed could be fun again when you get to be a little creative and a little less overwhelmed. Minimalist May has begun!

Check out what Meredith chose for her 15 items later on this week and what was surprising to her throughout the process. And don’t forget to share on Instagram what you chose and how it’s going! 

No comments