The Perfect Sugar Cookie

I have SO many memories of making Christmas cookies with my family. Some years we would whine and complain, not really knowing how hard my mom worked to get those cookies on the table. As an adult, I now owe my mom so many apologies because a good sugar cookie takes hard work and lots of time. So, Mom, I am sorry for the times I put up a fight, you are the reason my love for sugar cookies exist! My older sister even gifted me a Saguaro Cacti cookie cutter, because she knew I could find many uses for it! 





I have a deep love for Sugar Cookies and so do our good friends, Lisa and Jay. I have spoken about them before, but I don't think I have given them enough spotlight. Lisa is my best friend, she is the calm to my storm and someone that I am thankful for, no matter what the season is! Jay is our Miller Lite loving bestie who tells Lisa when it's time to head home and silently drafts during our fantasy football league draft party. They are our Tucson family and we have so enjoyed starting and continuing traditions with them. Every year we hold a Christmas cookie decorating contest. Lisa takes this contest very seriously, and we all totally let her take the lead. She brings the BEST decor and very generously lets us use them! Equally as important are the cookies themselves, and I am responsible for those! 


I had been on the search for the perfect sugar cookie for many years. I like mine semi soft and definitely not crunchy. I tend to over make these yummy cookies, and I am not apologizing for it. They are the perfect cookie to serve at a party, welcome a neighbor, or surprise your husband on your anniversary. After many days tweaking and many batches of sugar cookies, I think this one is darn near perfect. 

Below is the recipe to the perfect sugar cookie and whipped buttercream icing. If you have a favorite cookie recipe, I would love for you to share it with me, but also give this one a try. You will LOVE it! 



The Perfect Sugar Cookie 

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, at room temp
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, at room temp
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
5 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Directions: 


In a large mixer, add in butter and sugar. Mix for at least 4 minutes, it is SO important to mix the butter and sugar really well (this goes for any baking recipe). 

Once the mixture is well incorporated; add in the eggs, vanilla, and sour cream. Mix well. 

In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add in the flour mixture to the mixer. Mix well! 

Separate the dough into small sections. Cover dough with flour, generously. Wrap the dough in wax paper and cover with saran wrap. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, or store in freezer until you are ready to roll out. 

Preheat oven to 350°
Bake for 9-11 minutes.


Traditionally, people recommend using flour to roll out the dough and keep the dough from sticking. I LOVE using powder sugar mixed with a little bit of flour. This adds a little bit of sweetness and works so well with the flour. Trust me on this one, it makes a huge difference!!



Buttercream frosting:

1.5 cups of butter
8 cups powdered sugar
4-5 TB heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla
food coloring and sprinkles

Directions:

In a large mixer, add in butter and powdered sugar. 

Turn mixer on low and while the butter and sugar is mixing, slowly add in the heavy cream. Depending on how you like your frosting you may need slightly more or less, just wait for the consistency you like. 

Once incorporated, add in the vanilla, mix well. If you are using multiple colors, separate equal parts frosting into little containers and hand mix the food coloring. Let sit for a few minutes before applying to cookies. 

This frosting will not harden like some sugar cookies, but instead get nice and firm after some time in the refrigerator. 

Decorate and top with whatever fun sprinkles and decor you have!! 

Enjoy! 



Happy decorating, 



3 comments