cookies for breakfast, sure!

As a stay at home mom, I spend SO much time in the kitchen. I prefer cooking most of our meals, partly because I want to have the power to know what is going into our bellies and also because I love cooking! Getting Luke to eat healthy food has never been super challenging, he sees us eating the same food that he is offered, and I think that is half the battle, but I also try to make healthy food enjoyable. 

Some of my favorite moments throughout the day happen while Luke and I are sitting at the kitchen table. I love seeing him enjoy food that I have created. I will always try to post a picture of Luke trying, and hopefully enjoying, the food that I post on this blog. 


With Pinterest, finding new recipes is a cinch! I wanted to share one of my favorite breakfast cookies with you all. I think this recipe is SO easy and quite yummy as well. Who doesn't get sick of the same old, same old for breakfast? Typically I do 1 egg + 1 egg white, spinach and a buttered english muffin;  

 

So, while browsing Pinterest one morning, I stumbled upon this recipe. I wish I could take credit for these, but I must tell you that they actually come from The Burlap Bag. These are called the 2 Ingredient Cookies, all you need are some ripe bananas and old fashioned oats. Luke and I mashed the bananas, added the oats (our family loves Coach's Oats, purchased from Costco) and decided to add 1/4 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut.  The recipe made 12 cookies, and the best part was there was a huge spoonful left that we could eat right from the bowl!! 



The original recipe says to make sure your cookie sheet is heavily greased. I prefer parchment paper, throughout this blog you will learn to love this magical stuff as much as I do.



We popped them into the oven, 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Here is Luke patiently awaiting his cookies.



 Here is the finished product! How gorgeous do these look? They turned out perfectly. 



 And as promised, here is Luke mid bite. He loved them and it was so much fun to tell him that we could have cookies for breakfast. 



Ingredients:
2 ripe mashed bananas
1 cup of oats 

These would be perfect with just the bananas and the oats, but half the fun is seeing what else you can add to the cookies. Here are some ingredients I plan on trying:


peanut butter
raisins
walnuts


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Mash bananas, add in the oats and additional ingredients. Spoon out onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. No need to space them out, they will not spread during cooking. Cook for 15 minutes and enjoy warm! 


Though we ate the majority at breakfast, I also added some to my gym bag and had the perfect "after workout" snack! These truly are a guilt free snack, and completely kid approved! Let me know if you try them at home and what you decide to add!

Happy eating,

Meredith 

No comments